A virtual internship is a work experience where the participant ( intern ) earns experience while working in a remote professional setting and is not physically present at the job location.
Virtual interns communicate With Their use online through various means clustering Including email, Skype , Whatsapp , instant messaging, phone calls, webinars , project management tools, SMS (text) messaging, etc.
Virtual internships are undertaken by both students and graduates. The most common virtual technologies in the following areas: Information technology; Software development; marketing; Social Media; Research; Writing; Journalism; Media; Pre and post event planning; Video creation and editing; Human Resources; Graphic Design; Search Engine Optimization and Marketing; Some non-profits and government internships; Some political internships; Some engineering internships; And Some public relations internships.  The West African Academy of Public Health operates a virtual internship program with mentoring cascade for recent graduates in Global Health The “WAAPH VIP” as it is called, Engages youths in health care, health and social services. 
According to career experts, although virtual internships are currently rare, they are growing in popularity due to improving technology and the growth of social media.  A summary of the main findings of this study. Larger companies are also starting to explore offering these types of internships.  They are presently most popular among small businesses and online businesses. 
Columbia University is launching the first virtual college campus in 2009.
The US Department of State operates the Virtual Student Foreign Service program.  As of 2012, 343 eInterns have worked with US diplomatic posts in 97 countries. 
Virtual internships have been criticized for not providing the supervision and guidance that internships are meant to provide. 
- Jump up^ Lee, Dreama. “President” . (888) 291-9098 . Efficient Enterprises, Inc.
- Jump up^ Marte, Jonnelle (29 September 2009). “An Internship From Your Couch” . The Wall Street Journal . Retrieved 17 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Damast, Alison. “Virtual Internships In Rising Demand” . Retrieved 17 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Braathe, Robert. “Internships” . Retrieved 17 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Virtual Student Foreign Service” . The US Department of State . Retrieved 21 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ Ross, Alec. “Keynote Address: Alec Ross, US State Dept” . Social Media Week NYC . Retrieved 21 February 2012 .
- Jump up^ http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/blog/unpaid-interns-bank-on-skills-not-money . Missing or empty( help ) |title=