Joseph Planta FRS (21 February 1744 Castasegna , Switzerland – December 3, 1827, London , England ), aka Joseph von Planta ,  Was a librarian of Romansh – Swiss origin Who Moved to London and est devenu the Principal Librarian of the British Museum . 
Joseph Planta was born at Castasegna in Grisons , Switzerland , the son of Reverend Andrew (aka Andreas) Planta (1717-1773).    He studied philology at Utrecht , the Netherlands and then Göttingen , Germany .
Planta traveled for a while and then moved to England in 1752, where his father was a pastor for the German Reformed Church in London and also assistant librarian in the British Museum. He succeeded his father as assistant librarian in 1773.  He was promoted to keeper of manuscripts in 1776 and then Principal Librarian in charge of the museum from 1799 until his death in 1827.
At the British Museum, Planta produced a library catalog for the Cotton manuscripts. As Under Librarian, Planta organized the rehousing of the museum’s corner collection. His time as Principal Librarian was a significant period in the history of the British Museum.  He improved the facilities available for the public.
Joseph Planta was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1774.   Soon after Planta was appointed as an assistant at the British Museum, he published a paper on the Romansh language of the area. The Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London .   The paper was read to the Royal Society on November 10, 1775. He was also appointed as one of the secretaries to the Royal Society in 1776.
His son, Sir Joseph Planta (1787-1847), MP for Hastings , was born at the British Museum. 
- Jump up^ Joseph von Planta – SUSCH (2073),Scartezzini – English.
- Jump up^ Robert Cowtan, Memories of the British Museum . R. Bentley and Son, 1872.ISBN 978-1-4097-6882-1. Page 232.
- ^ Jump up to:a b G. R. de Beer, Andreas and Joseph Planta, FF.RS , Notes and Records of the Royal Society of London , Vol. 10, No. 1, p. 8-14, October 1952. The Royal Society .
- ^ Jump up to:a b David M. Wilson , The British Museum: A History . The British Museum Press , 2002. ISBN 0-7141-2764-7 . Page 58.
- Jump up^ Andreas von Planta – SUSCH (2065),Scartezzini – English.
- Jump up^ ” Planta, Joseph (1744-1827) “. Dictionary of National Biography . London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885-1900.
- Jump up^ Mary Boas Hall, All scientists now: the Royal Society in the nineteenth century,Cambridge University Press, 1984.ISBN 0-521-26746-3.
- Jump up^ Joseph Planta,An Account of the Romansh Language. By Joseph Planta, FRS In a Letter to Sir John Pringle, Bart. PRS, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London , Vol. 66, p. 129-159, January 1, 1776.The Royal Society. Also onGutenberg ProjectandJSTOR. Doi:10.1098 / rstl.1776.0008
- Jump up^ John Haiman and Paola Benincà (editors), The Rhaeto-Romance languages . Routledge,Taylor & Francis Group, 1992.ISBN 0-415-04194-5. Page 19.
- Jump up^ Constance Richardson,Mrs. Oom and ‘The Forty-Eight’. Music & Letters , Vol. 32, No. 1, p. 98-99, January 1951.Oxford University Press.