Externships are experiential learning opportunities, similar to internships but markedly less rigorous, provided by educational institutions to give students short practical experiences in their field of study. In medicine, he is a physician who is not part of the regular staff. It is derived from Latin externus and from English -ship .
The term externship has a first known use of 1945 in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. 
Externships are the shorter than internships and often last for a few weeks to months.
Due to the short duration, externships can be easily completed during a student’s spring and summer breaks or even during a January inter-session. Externships are often seen as a shadowing job , since they are highly supervised.  The experience allows students to apply their coursework learning to a real life setting. Externships offer samples of career opportunities. It is a chance for students to observe and ask questions.  They can be viewed as external studies which combine classroom knowledge with real-world experience.
Externships can lead to opportunities after students complete their studies. They can help pre-graduates get their foot in the door for possible job openings or even make them better candidates for aggressive internshipopportunities. The goal of an extern is To Become familiar with new occupations and job fields. Externships sont également a source of networking contacts ounce profession is Chosen.
Externships are not only for the benefit of the host. Both parties get a chance to observe one another. Successful externships could lead to recruitment possibilities which would be based on a thoroughly informed decision. 
- Jump up^ Externship | Definition of Externship by Merriam-Webster. Accessed: 2011-06-29. (Archived by WebCite® athttp://www.webcitation.org/5zo6BhOOZ)
- Jump up^ “University of Arkansas: Externships / Job Shadowing” . Archived from the original on 2011-08-13 . Retrieved 2 July 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Pilot program allows second-years to shadow alumni in the workplace” . 3 April 2003 . Retrieved 2 July 2009 .
- Jump up^ “University of Michigan Law School: Externships” . Retrieved 2 July 2009 .
- Jump up^ Muirhead, Gred. (29 April 1991). “Student externships aid recruitment”. Supermarket News . 25 .