The New York Arts Council (NYC),  also known as Arts and Business Council, Inc., is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop more creative partnerships between the arts and business communities in New York, Enhancing the business skills of the arts sector and the creative engagement of the business sector. ABC / NY accomplishes this mission through programming in volunteer development, professional development, and leadership development. ABC / NY, now a division of the National Service for the Arts , was formed in 1965 to join the resources of New York City’s arts and business communities in order to strengthen both sectors.
( Arts education , dance , design , film , literature , media, museums , music , theater , visual arts , etc.) and sizes (annual operating budgets of less than $ 100 million ), as well as businesses of all sizes across industry Sectors, Throughout the five boroughs of New York City and, When possible Throughout New York State .
ABC / NY’s programs and services draw on business-based skills, knowledge, and relationships to strengthen the capacity and infrastructure of arts organizations. Activities include programs in volunteer development, professional development, and leadership development.
Business Volunteers for the Arts (BVA)  seats businessmen and women with expertise in areas Such As strategic planning, marketing, finance, IT, and human resources, as pro bono management consultants with nonprofit arts groups. ABC / NY staff recruit, interview, train, and match BVAs with organizations where each volunteer’s skills and interests will be of greatest use. The scope of each assignment is co-determined by the volunteer and the organization. Projects may be simple, such as editing or marketing materials or reviewing a contract or lease, or more complex, such as creating a financial reporting system, helping develop a debt recovery package, or assisting with strategic planning.
Arts Board Recruitment / Training  strengthens the leadership capacity of nonprofit arts organizations. Potential board members are trained in governance, tax management, fundraising, and advocacy. This program also provides board development workshops for arts organizations, and ABC / NY staff interview and work with each arts organization to ensure it is prepared to effectively utilize its board members. As with the project-based BVA Investments, ABC / NY is a matchmaker, introducing business people to arts organizations for the benefit of both.
The Multicultural Arts Management Internship program  promotes diversity in administrative staffing, introducing undergraduates to career options with a business focus in the arts. Each year, a select group of students-with an emphasis on African-American, Asian-American, and Latino / a backgrounds-is matched with New York City Of disciplines. Each intern is also a paired with a mentor from the business community who has a passion for career and guidance.
Emerging Leaders of New York Arts (ELNYA)  Introduced in fall 2007, is the New York branch of a nationwide program  That targets arts professionals under 35 or with less than five years’ experience in the field. ELNYA provides opportunities to develop leadership skills, skills, and knowledge. This program offers social, professional development, and networking events, such as group discussions, panel Q & A, and an arts management book club, each planned and implemented by members. ELNYA’s emphasis on hands-on leadership leads to empowered arts administrators who will engage and advance the field with creative problem solving and sustainable management practices.
The Arts Leadership Institute (ALI)  offers executive education for mid-career arts managers who seek to succeed in nonprofit arts executive director positions. ALI provides both technical management skill building (eg budgeting, planning, fundraising, and board development) and personal leadership development (self-assessment, communications, delegation, decision-making, and time management).
ABC / NY helps individual artists and arts organisms to Develop new audiences and earned income through a series of arts-specific marketing workshops are topics Including branding , sponsorship , electronic communications, market research , and audience development and retention. These are complemented with a comprehensive marketing website  created by national staff, and an annual national conference.  ABC / NY also offers practical training for arts managers, business volunteers, and nonprofit arts board members in areas such as budgeting and financial analysis, fundraising, and human resources. In 2010, several Arts & Business Council professional development workshops Were in partnership with The Foundation Center     and the Financial Women’s Association . 
Cultural and economic development
From 2000-2009, with the backing of the New York State Council on the Arts ,  ABC / NY’s Cultural Tourism Initiative  Provided funding and technical support to 93 grantees statewide  to supporting partnership-based projects That joined New York City, Manhattan, New York, New York City, New York.  
In 2010, ABC / NY established a partnership with the Harlem Arts Alliance  to promote cultural tourism and economic development in Harlem . Promotions that combine arts and business offerings are offered weekly. 
The annual Encore Awards  of the Arts & Business Council of New York celebrate success in all four of these programmatic areas. The Awards honor arts and business partnerships, creative business volunteers, and excellence in arts management; And the annual celebration is a major networking opportunity for New York’s arts and business communities.
- Jump up^ Arts & Business Council of New York official website
- Jump up^ ABC / NY Business Volunteers for the Arts web page
- Jump up^ ABC / NY Board Services
- Jump up^ ABC / NY Multicultual Arts Management Internship program
- Jump up^ “Emerging Leaders of New York Arts official website” . Elnya.org. 2012-03-17 . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ Emerging Leaders Network
- Jump up^ Arts Leadership Institute official website
- Jump up^ “ArtsMarketing.org, the Official Website of the National Arts Marketing Project . ” Artsmarketing.org. 2012-03-05 . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ “National Arts Marketing Project Conference” . Artsmarketing.org . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ The Foundation Center, Training Opportunities: Budgeting for Those Who Would Rather Not ArchivedJanuary 25, 2010, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ The Foundation Center, Training Opportunities: Volunteers Are Not Free: Building a Volunteer Program That FlourishesArchivedApril 10, 2010, at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ The Foundation Center, Training Opportunities: Dialogue with Donors: Foundation Funding for the Arts [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Philanthropy Front and Center – New York, ” Economic Development Is an Art, Not a Science ” . Newyorkblog.foundationcenter.org. 2010-10-28 . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ Financial Women’s Association, Development – How to Make a Non-Profit Survive ArchivedMarch 30, 2010 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “New York State Council on the Arts official website, past grants to ABC / NY” . Nysca.org . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ ABC / NY Cultural Tourism Initiative
- Jump up^ ABC / NY Cultural Tourism Initiative grantees
- Jump up^ “Alliance for the Arts,” “News at the Alliance: Nine Cultural Tourism Grants Awarded” . Allianceforarts.org. 2006-04-01. Archived from the original on 2012-03-15 . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ “New York Folklore Society, list of allied heritage tourism organizations” . Nyfolklore.org. Archived from the original on 2012-03-14 . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ “Harlem Arts Alliance official website” . Harlemaa.org . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ “Harlem Arts Alliance official website, ” Weekly Harlem Promotions ”” . Harlemaa.org. Archived from the original on 2012-03-15 . Retrieved 2012-03-22 .
- Jump up^ ABC / NY Encore Awards