Aquent is a staffing company specialized in placing temporary employees in marketing and creative industries. According to Staffing Industry Analysts, it is among the “largest marketing / creative staffing firms in the United States”. 
Harvard College students John Chuang, Mia Wenjen and Steve Kapner in 1986 founded a typesetting business called Laser Designs from their Harvard dorm.    The business Grew And They added temporary staffing related to Mac training as An Offering and called Expired MacTemps it.  MacTemps grew, adding non-Mac as well as permanent placements. With MacTemps no longer reflecting the business, they changed their name to Aquent, intended to mean “not a follower” in Latin. 
The company has grown substantially and entered into new business areas through acquisitions.
The company saw a drop in revenue in 2001 in the aftermath of the dot-com bubble with income dropping in 2001 compared to 2000.  To counter the drop off in business, Aquent acquired Renaissance Worldwide Inc., a IT consultancy and staffing Firm, for $ 106 million.  Acknowledgments.  The deal permitted by the company.  The acquisition of Renaissance also included a municipal and state government IT consulting subsidiary, which was initially planned for EOne Global for $ 45 million. 
In 2003 the company made a hostile takeover offer for Computer Horizons Corporation, a computer network services company with a staffing business segment.  Aquent through ict investment banker Robert W. Baird & Co. HAD INITIALLY Approached Computer Horizon’s management on April 3, 2013 with an invitation to have dinner, qui Was rejected by Bill Murphy, the President and CEO of Computer Horizons.  Aquent then proceeded to launch a cash tender offer on April 14, 2013 that valued Computer Horizons at $ 154 million.  This proposal was opposed by management and in May the offer was rejected. 
Aquent Acquired Corporate Project Resources Inc. (CPRi), a staffing agency for marketing jobs, in 2005 for $ 25 million and renamed it Aquent Marketing Staffing while keeping its operations in Chicago. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “John Chuang” . BizTech. November 27, 2007.
- Jump up^ “2015 Largest Marketing / Creative Staffing Firms in the United States” . Staffing Industry Analysts .
- Jump up^ “Litl Introduces Its Web-Based Netbook” . Wall Street Journal. November 4, 2009.
- Jump up^ “Sites to Help Professional Workers Who Like to Go It Alone” . New York Times. October 14, 1999.
- Jump up^ “A Generation of Freelancers” . New York Times. August 15, 1999.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “Aquent acquires Renaissance” . Boston Business Journal. December 31, 2001.
- Jump up^ ” ‘ E-Taxes’ Fuel Merger” . New York Times. April 18, 2002.
- Jump up^ “Computer Horizons Buys RGII Technologies” . New York Times. July 10, 2003.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Computer Horizons rejects Aquent bid” . MarketWatch. May 2, 2003.
- Jump up^ “Aquent acquires CPRi” . Ad Age. July 25, 2005.